Thursday, August 28, 2008

St Louis & Hawaii

I took a Greyhound into St Louis and my Couch Surfing host, Lindsey, and her guy friend, Jason, picked me up from the bus station. STL Greyhound has a nice new station in downtown, opposed to in the ghetto of N STL. However, the security is crazy - they wouldn't let me in the terminal without an onward ticket! I just wanted to go to the bathroom! I discovered Amtrak is connected and used their facilities instead.

I guess all the stress and fretting over leaving made me a tad anxious and I got sick for a day. After they picked me up we headed to a sweet bar called Atomic Cowboy where a Burner (as in Burning Man) meeting was taking place. Caught a bit of fire spinning before I decided to pass out in the car. Basically I ended up crashing on Lindsey's couch while Jason attempted to make me eat for the next day. I did wake up in time for us to venture to the City Museum, The Loop, and hang out with some of their friends. The next morning the amazing pair drove me to the Metro so I could catch the train to the airport. Both were amazing hosts and I hope to see them next time I'm in STL.

The flights were not that exciting. Both weren't that packed and I got a window seat for both (sweet!). I arrived in Hawaii at 2pm and found out that there was not a public bus that made the run to Kona. Taxis cost $25 (the cost of a hostel stay). I sat around for a while thinking I could ask some kind looking folk for a ride but that didn't happen and I was getting antsy. I watched a backpacker looking guy walk down the road and figured I should hitch. I walked for a bit along the airport road to the highway to no avail and then realized I probably looked like a male with my hair tucked in my hat. With hair down the second car that went by stopped. SUCCESS. The guy was really nice and worked for the airport. He drove me to an internet cafe in town where I found a cheap hostel to stay at. I walked around for a bit since it wasn't opened yet and ate dinner.

MORE LATER.

No comments: