Sunday, June 29, 2008

Into Fall We go

In retrospect, the past months have been a great time for me to shape who I am and come to terms with what I want from life. But during the past few months it's been a whirlwind of people, places, feelings, thoughts and moments. I can't begin to explain what I've gone though since Chris left. I can't, not at all. I stayed in Delaware for maybe a week and decided that too many memories and ghosts floated in my path there. My friends and family were/are so supportive of me, I cannot ask for more.

I left for an intentional community in Missouri, which is what some people call a hippie commune. Basically, I view it as an alternative to the materialistic world of work that America is known for. It is not a prefect picture of utopia by any means, but it gives a good example. Life without the worry of work, money and possessions is possible. And don't think it's a bunch of ex-Dead Heads getting knotted in the sticks. Internet, running hot water, a huge DVD collection, 1000+ acres of the most diverse woodland in the US, four swimming holes, a family of 50+ people who care deeply about your well being and your interests. And no, I don't have to sell my car, give my money or worship a guru. The only requirements are that I understand the social contract (basically no hurting other people), work 35 hours a week (childcare, cleaning, gardening, cooking, feeding animals, nut butter production, etc), one weekly kitchen chore (dishes), and 2-8 hours of required income quota (working in an area the community profits from). I usually work 4-5 hours a day, hang out the rest of the day with the 20-something crowd, hike/swim/ride bikes, drink a bit and maybe watch movies. Not so much different from the outside world but no one here frets about bills or medical care (after 6 months I get covered here). No need to worry about anything but enjoying life and getting your labor sheets in.

I have no plans as to when I'm leaving yet. I have ideas but I'd rather not share them until I'm certain. I tend to tell everyone my ideas in the past and I usually change them shortly after. So no talk until it is decided. Email or leave a comment if you want any information about the community or my plans. wheresamber@gmail.com

No comments: