Sunday, June 29, 2008

Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois & Kansas

Way too much time in the mid-west if you ask me! Spent a month back at EW in Missouri. The last week I was there I went on a float trip in Arkansas for 5 days. Canoeing the Buffalo River! So we only made it 10 miles, but we had a hell of a good time! Caught Greyhound to Peoria, IL. Met a kind guy working at the bus station there who offered to take me in for the night & let me tag along to Summer Camp Festival (about 20 mins north) the next day. Hung out with some of his friends and had a lot of fun.

Summer Camp was AMAZING. Such a great festival! Good music, multiple sets for most bands, nice camping, not too many people, kind folks all around. Got to take my photo with one of the guys from Umphreys (I was working right next to the Main stage one day). Good fun. Met so many interesting, fun people. Got a free ticket into one of the late night shows with Ha Ha the Moose, two of the guys' from moe's side project. Amazing set. Watched the Flaming Lips & Umphreys with a 18-year old who was at his first festival! Danced so hard to George Clinton & P Funk that my entire body ached. Stayed up late the last night jumping to Cornmeal (Allie with her sexy fiddle). Spent the night in my tent while they attempted to evacuate the campgrounds because of 70 mph winds and tornado warnings. My small kid's $20 Walmart tent withstood!! Ba-ha! Caught a ride back to the bus station with the guys who gave me the late night pass.

Dancing in the mud at Summer Camp
Mud

The Flaming Lips at Summer Camp
Flaming Lips

OAR at Summer Camp
OAR

Passed out (drooling-style pass out) on the whole 12 hour bus ride to Kansas. Was in Iowa for a second but I was out like a light. One of the first bus ride where I didn't talk to a single person. Note: Always make sure it's your stop. I almost got off at the wrong city twice! Yeah, I was passed out.

Got picked up by my WWOOF host right as I arrived in Lawrence, KS. Been on the farm here for four days or so now. One of the house mates is a massage therapist and bought a vendor booth at Wakarusa. She may have an extra ticket to sell me on the cheap. She's out of town so I won't know until next week. The farm is nice. Long hours, harsh heat and sun but varied work and kind folks. Today I harvested green onions, lettuce, spinach and eggs. Washed a huge amount of tubs for market tomorrow. Collected seeds from the invasive weeds in the pastures before they start to spread. Yesterday put up two lengths of fence for the sheep. Learned how to winch, put up h-bars, and secure fencing for a herd of sheep and a llama. I'm working with Luna, one of the border collies, to have her respond better to commands. I got her to bring the sheep to me from the far side of the farm yesterday (with some help from the owner).

I have free roam of everything in the house. After I work some I can take the bike to downtown or what ever. The Kansas River is five blocks over and the storm surge is crazy right now. Downtown Lawrence is really nice. Heady library that I have a temp card to borrow. Biked to Sonic today for food; sometimes I get bored of farm fresh stuff (I am an American). Tomorrow is market but the owner said most weekends are relaxing but I'll probably go collect more of those weed seeds and reinforce one of the fences.

Red lettuce at Kansas farm
A brain!

Ambroses
Ambroses

Swallow & nest
Swallow

Dead Indigo Bunting
Indigo Bunting

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.